KENNETH E. LAUTER
A native of Indianapolis and 1982 graduate of Indiana University School of Law – Bloomington, Mr. Lauter practiced labor and employment law on the management side until 1993. Since then, Mr. Lauter has practiced on the employee side and been involved in the following representative litigation brought under laws guaranteeing employee rights:
Age Discrimination: After more than seven years of litigation, Mr. Lauter’s clients received a $1.675 million share of a $2.15 million settlement resolving a wider class action alleging age discrimination by a multinational corporation. Exceeding the firm’s more typical state-wide client base, Mr. Lauter initiated the action with clients from the states of Rhode Island, Texas, California, Montana and Washington.
Indiana Wage Claims Act: Mr. Lauter argued a wage claims action before the Indiana Supreme Court to uphold an award of more than $900,000 in damages and attorney fees. The unanimous court upheld the award and its ruling cleared up a decade of conflicting lower court rulings. Steele v. St. Vincent Hospital, 766 N.E.2d 699 (Ind. 2002).
Title VII – Retaliation: Mr. Lauter tried and won a Title VII retaliation claim resulting in a jury verdict of $3.5 million in punitive damages. Fine v. Ryan International Airlines, 305 F.3d 746 (7th Cir. 2002) ($733,000 judgment collected following application of damage caps).
Family & Medical Leave Act: Mr. Lauter tried and won a Family Medical Leave Act claim against the U. S. Postal Service which resulted in a 75-page bench decision awarding $420,500 in damages and fees. Routes v. Henderson, 358 F.Supp.2d 959 (S.D.Ind., 1999).
Americans With Disabilities Act: Mr. Lauter tried and won the first Americans with Disabilities Act claim tried to a jury in the Southern District of Indiana. Murphy v. Cardinal Realty Services, Inc., IP94-1240 C-T/G (S.D.Ind., 10/26/95)($365,000 jury verdict).
[No guarantee of like results in future litigation.]
Areas of practice
- Civil Rights
- Employment Law — Employee
- Labor Law
- Kentucky, 1982
- Indiana, 1991
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Kentucky, 1982
- U.S. District Court Western District of Kentucky, 1982
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Indiana, 1991
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Indiana, 1991
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 1982
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 1991
Indiana University at Bloomington School of Law, Bloomington, Indiana, 1982
Honors: With Honors
Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, USA, 1979
Honors: With Honors
- Steele v. St Vincent Hospital, 766 N.E. 2d 699 (md. 2002)
- Lisa Fine v. Ryan international Airlines. 305 F.3d 746(7th Cir. 2002)
- Routes v. Henderson. 58 F. Supp.2d959(S.D. md. 1999)
- Murphy v. Cardinal Realty Services, Inc., 1P94-1240 C-T/G (S.D. md. 1995)
Professional Associations and Memberships:
Indiana Bar Association